Thursday, March 11, 2004

Spring Plantings

I'm itching to get back into the garden again -- I spent last weekend mixing in manure compost, bone meal, and blood meal to enrich the nutrients in my soil -- this weekend I'll start mixing in pine bark mini-chips to improve aeration and green sand for trace minerals ... and then do a final soil test to make sure everything is in balance.

The bulbs are just starting to come up -- little ruby crocuses, red striped and green flame tulips, white daffodils, fragrant hyacinth, delicate muscari, "Grow, grow, GROW," I want to sing out to them .. and April 1 seems so far away ... that's the first date to start planting cool season crops like lettuce and onions and garlic and snapdragons up here ... then another long wait until May 1 to plant nearly all the other seeds -- peas, zucchini, chamomile, dill, parsley, alyssum, lobelia -- and then 15 more days to wait for the real heat lovers, and on May 15 AT LAST -- I can plant the rest -- tomatoes, eggpplant, peppers, sunflowers, love-lies-bleeding -- Yippppeeee!!!! I'm so excited I can't stand it!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home