Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Squeamish

Diana,

That's interesting the way you kind of switch gears in your mind to cross between clinical and subjective experience, the left and right hemispheres.

I've always been a tad squeamish -- can't stand to watch horror films, fainted at the sight of my own bloody nose as a teen-ager, went through a brief if vivid phobia of needles, etc.

I figured it must be a matter of tuning out the vividness of life that made the difference between my gut reactions and a more level-headed approach -- but also wondered if any of it was learned or innate ...

Also, I always wondered if people who are exposed to lots of medical ailments start having a radar for that sort of thing at dinner parties and social interactions -- i.e. I'm talking politely to Mrs. Jones at the hors d'oeuvres table but really I can tell by the pink rash on her neck that she's got acute gangliata of the colon -- okay, I'm making stuff up here -- but do things like that start to pop up in the mind?? -- i.e. I'm nodding politely as though I were listening to what you're saying but really I'm just picturing what a mess your colon must look like right about now??!

hehehe -- I think my imagination would go wild exposed to that much detailed information about the human body on a daily basis -- sometimes I do have dreams about my plants -- I've dreamt that a variety of white scale insect that attacks the stems of kentia palms was all over my body and it itched sooooo bad -- and I've dreamt about parasitic weeds suffocating my plants, growing faster than I can pull them out ...

I guess what I'm also saying is that I don't see how anything like hemorroid removal or pap smears can ever become so routine that you stop associating the personality of the patient with the procedure and become completely clinical -- and then I wonder if you start to care more or less for people after being so intimately familiar with their bodies, or is that something you turn on and off as well?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home