Thursday, February 12, 2004

Job Hunt Woes

I walked into the shabby temp agency offices at 32nd and Madison
and met Joe, a fast talking brown haired man with hard eyes. He
said he could definitely get me a job as an admin doing power point
presentations for an investment firm making more money and better
benefits. I said where do I sign and by the way I'm 2 months pregnant.

He quickly changed his tune at the news. Well, I can't help you, then.
Who's going to want to hire you knowing you're going to go on maternity
leave in several months? He sounded almost angry with me.

I left that small little man in his shabby little office and didn't look
back, resting my hand on my belly on the ride home, knowing
that I can endure anything, any rejection, any hardship so long as
I have my baby -- any job seems so measly by comparison ... and so
I find myself not as upset as I thought I would be -- having a baby
inside of me sort of puts the world around me into perspective.

And taking care of plants isn't so bad -- at least here I'm surrounded
by people who have grown to love and care for me over the past 3 years ..
I know they will be happy for me when I tell them about my little
hidden virgo treasure.. and maybe this is the sort of place I belong in
right now, rather than a strange new environment with a boss that
would just resent me in his small-minded way ... for what?? creating
life?? how ridiculous and sad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home